Leith Hill, Sea of Bluebells and Waterfall - 18 kilometres day hike
Time & Location
About the Event
Distance: 18 kilometres
Ascent: 500 metres
Hiking time: About 7 hours
A challengingly long hike that rewards you with a small waterfall and seas of bluebells.
Breathtaking views = Weezing and panting as you ascend the highest point in South West England, below London.
Waterfall = Cascade that looks like a rain drizzle on your iPhone.
ITINERARY (subject to changes):
We will start at Holmwood Station and walk towards Leith Hill Tower, the highest point below London. From here, on a good day, you can see London and beyond.
We climb Leith Hill from the steepest point, cuz I wanna see your ass burn.
After a lunch break and taking in the views at Leith Hill, we take the Greensand towards Dorking. On this path, we will pass through some pretty water features (if you like that sort of thing). We end at the idyllic village of Dorking where we will follow a little canal to the station where we get the train back to London.
TRANSPORT AND MEETING POINT:
We'll meet at Victoria Station at 10 am in front of platform 11, and leave the meeting point at 10:15 am for the 10:30 am train.
Planned return time to London of 7:45 pm.
We'll stop during the hike for a snack lunch so please bring food and drink. At the top of Leith Hill, there is a café serving decent sandwiches and lovely soup; you can buy those with cash if preferred.
It does not include train tickets. We can get a group discount if we buy tickets together, but you are free to buy alone or meet us at a different point.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Money for train tickets (group save)
- £2 to climb the Tower (not necessary as you still have fantastic views from the hill).
- Suitable hiking clothes & hiking footwear (ideally hiking boots).
- Waterproof jacket, trousers and footwear are strongly recommended in case of rain or mud.
- Water (at least 1 and ideally 2 litres)
- Packed lunch/picnic - there is a cafe at the top of the hill, but it is not guaranteed to be open.
- Money for drinks and refreshments